Effective & Productive
|July 22nd||July 23rd||July 24th||July 25th||July 26th||July 27th||July 28th|
|New Testament||1 Peter 1||1 Peter 2||1 Peter 3||1 Peter 4||1 Peter 5||2 Peter 1||2 Peter 2|
|Old Testament||1 Kings 5-6|
2 Chronicles 2-3
|1 Kings 7|
2 Chronicles 4
|1 Kings 8|
2 Chronicles 5
|2 Chronicles 6-7|
|1 Kings 9|
2 Chronicles 8
|1 Kings 10|
2 Chronicles 9
These two short books written by Peter are jam-packed with how to live the Christian life. He could have left all the writing to “intellectual” Paul but with the help of Silas, Peter, the fisherman, wrote these incredible 8 chapters.
Why? 2 Peter 3:1 says “I have written both of them as reminders to stimulate you to wholesome thinking”!!
Seems that the problems we have today are exactly the same as 2,000 years ago, and God is reaching out to us through Peter’s words and stimulating us to wholesome thinking.
Thoughts lead to actions and actions lead to habits. Consider your own thoughts at the moment, are they wholesome, based on the Word, leading to good habits? Or are they influenced by the desires of this world and leading you to bad habits?
Peter exhorts us in 1 Peter 2:12 to “live such good lives among the pagans that … they may see your good deeds and glorify God…”
So how do we do this? Peter answers this in 2 Peter 1-9. God has given us everything that we need!!
• Faith – Our new life in Christ as we acknowledge His lordship
• Goodness – Living as a new creation
• Knowledge – Being filled with the Holy Spirit who reveals more of Christ to us
• Self-Control – As we know more of Christ and are strong in Him, we control our sinful desires and passions
• Perseverance – A determination to hold on to the things of God
• Godliness – We become more and more like Jesus
• Mutual Affection – We honour and respect others who are also “in Christ”
• Love – We reach out in love to those around us
Peter’s goal is for us to be effective and productive, that our lives reveal Christ and that we bear fruit. The more we know Christ, the more we reveal Him to those around us, and the more fruit we will see.
I love 2 Peter 1:12, like a father teaching his children something really important, he says: I will always remind you of these things, even though you know them.
I can almost hear him saying “Come on, get your act together, you know what you should be doing, so do it!”