JESUS KEEPS HIS WORD
|February 10th||February 11th||February 12th||February 13th||February 14th||February 15th||February 16th|
|New Testament||Matthew 26 v 1-19||Matthew 26 v 20-54||Matthew 26 v 55-75||Matthew 27 v 1-31||Matthew 27 v 32-66||Matthew 28 v 1-20||Mark 1 v 1-22|
Wow! What amazing verses they are this week!
From Jesus getting honoured by having the best perfume poured over his head, the last supper, and the crucifixion, to Jesus being raised from the dead.
There is so much in these verses that I want to pull out and write about and dive deeper into. What love God has for us that He sent His only Son to go through so much pain and to die for us, even before we knew or loved Him!!! Mind blowing!!! What love!!!
But what struck me in this week’s reading was just before Jesus was crucified. It says in Matthew 26:29 (NLT):
“Mark my words—I will not drink wine again until the day I drink it new with you in my Father’s Kingdom.”
I have read this verse so many times over in my life and not really taken much notice of until now. It struck me that Jesus said He would not drink wine again until His disciples were in heaven with him. Ok, big deal! What’s all that about!?
When you read on in Matthew 27:34 (NLT), we see that Jesus is offered wine and he refuses it:
“The soldiers gave Jesus wine mixed with bitter gall, but when he had tasted it, he refused to drink it.”
Ok this doesn’t seem like a massive deal but Jesus has just been beaten, whipped, had a crown of thorns on his head and now carrying a really heavy cross!
What am I trying to get to? Well in the most painful, exhausting, pushed to the limit, the most extreme things anyone could go through, Jesus still sticks to His word!
Jesus promised he wouldn’t drink wine again until he saw them in heaven and he didn’t.
If God has given you a promise, a word or shown you a dream or a vision of something … no matter what the situation looks like God will stick to His word and pull through!
Jesus has shown us that he doesn’t give up. He stands firm on His word and will not be shaken! He never goes back on what he has said!
If God has given you a promise. Thank Him that He will pull through on that promise! Rekindle the hope this week in that promise and know that God is going to do it!
Thank you, Father, that you are a faithful God your word is true and steadfast. You are the same yesterday, today and forever! Thank you for your promise over my life, today and this week I choose to live in a lifestyle of thankfulness of what you have promised for me. Even if the circumstances look the opposite, I know that you will pull through!
• Jesus says that the woman that poured the perfume over his head was doing a good thing to him, what good things can we do for Jesus today?
• Jesus prays this twice: “He went on a little farther and bowed with his face to the ground, praying, “My Father! If it is possible, let this cup of suffering be taken away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine.” (Matthew 26:39)
Have you ever been called to do something you didn’t want to do? How did you overcome that thought and do what God was calling you to do?
• “But even though they found many who agreed to give false witness, they could not use anyone’s testimony. Finally, two men came forward” (Matthew 26:60 NLT)
What does this say about how Jesus lives his life?
• What Jesus (God) went through for us! How can we live today that brings him glory?
• In previous passages Jesus said “I will not drink wine until I am reunited with you (his disciples) in heaven. Two times in the midst of the worst pain ever, Jesus stuck to his word after refusing wine on both times. Are we so strong we stay to our promise to the Lord, if so how do you keep them in the midst of the hardest times?
• A word and promise from the Lord were fulfilled when Jesus rose from the dead…have you ever been given a word or a promise by God which at that time seemed impossible to happen, what was it? (Someone needs encouragement share how God pulls through!)
• Jesus told the disciples to follow me, immediately they dropped their nets and followed him! Do you immediately follow Jesus and drop everything you’re doing for him? If so how?