|February 17th||February 18th||February 19th||February 20th||February 21st||February 22nd||February 23rd|
|New Testament||Mark 1 v 23-45||Mark 2||Mark 3 v 1-21||Mark 3 v 22-35||Mark 4 v 1-20||Mark 4 v 21-41||Mark 5 v 1-20|
This week’s verses are packed full of faith building, inspiring miracles and life changing teachings! But as I read through them God showed me something different.
Throughout these chapters, and in every account of Jesus’ life, we are told of crowds following Him, houses rammed full of people, and Jesus being forced to go on boats because of the crowds. Mark 1:45 says that Jesus couldn’t even enter towns but had to stay further out, and the people still went and found Him.
The people were desperate to see Jesus, to hear from Him, to listen to His Words and to see His power in action.
I long for the day when we see our churches packed full of people, with queues outside waiting to get in, with the churches known throughout the land because of the incredible signs and wonders God is doing.
As much as our cities need this, it will only happen when we start to treat Jesus with the same reverence, respect and love as the crowds that followed Him in our readings this week.
In Revelation 2:4 the church in Ephesus is criticised for losing their first love: Jesus. Every now and then I check myself against this verse – is Jesus still my first love?
One of the keys for me to see this is in this week’s reading:
“Then he added, “Pay close attention to what you hear. The closer you listen, the more understanding you will be given — and you will receive even more.”
Mark 4:24 NLT
When we truly love the Lord, we pay close attention to the things He says!
And the most wonderful thing is that the more we pay attention the more we understand and the more we get!
Let’s be so keen to listen to what He has to say that we crowd Him! That we follow Him in every moment in our days!
Let’s show up to church early, because we’re so eager to hear what God might say and to see what He might do. Let’s press into Him. Let’s read the Word daily, because we love understanding Him more and more.
Join the conversation today: Download the BibleApp and connect with “Alan Morton” by friend request from within the app.
• After hearing everything Jesus had done, would you have been part of the crowd that found Him, or would you be busy doing other things? (Job, family, resting)
• The men carrying the paralysed man had so much faith that Jesus could heal their friend that they were willing to dig a hole in a roof! What faith action are you taking today?
• The news spread about Jesus because people shared what they had seen and heard, faith grew and people came to Jesus. What testimony can you share with us and others today?
• Jesus’ blood relations had come to visit Him. This means they were not part of the crowd already following Him. What do you note from this?
• How can we make sure our hearts are good soil?
• What does it mean to “pay close attention to what you hear”?