|January 20th||January 21st||January 22nd||January 23rd||January 24th||January 25th||January 26th|
|New Testament||Matthew 14 v 22-36||Matthew 15 v 1-20||Matthew 15 v 21-39||Matthew 16||Matthew 17||Matthew 18 v 1-20||Matthew 18 v 21-35|
Agreement unlocks tremendous power. However, it is not an action that we can take on our own. It has to involve at least one other person.
God has not called us to live independently of one another but He has called us to live a life of co-dependence. He has placed us in a body, in a family of other believers, who live and serve the Lord together.
This week we are reading a lot about faith, how to stand in faith and what stops faith. In Matthew 18:19-20 we read:
Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.
This is the Prayer of Agreement. We could be with one other person, a small group, or in a church prayer meeting agreeing together in faith.
There is something powerful when we come together to pray and agree. There is a joining together of faith. There is also accountability and strength as we help one another stand together.
However, it is really important that we include God in our agreement.
Ecclesiastes 4:12 says: Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.
It is very easy to have a conversation with someone about something they are praying about and then to just say “I agree with you” and walk away. We think we are doing the right thing and we are, BUT we haven’t yet included the third strand. That is where prayer comes in. When your friend shares what they are praying for and you agree with them, don’t just say you agree but take it to the Lord in prayer.
Matthew 18:20 says: For where two or three gathers … in my name … there am I with them.
We can gather, chat, talk and discuss but if we don’t acknowledge the one who answers our prayer and include Him in our Prayer of Agreement, we are on shaky ground.
So, today, don’t be alone, don’t let pride stop you from sharing any issues that you have. Find someone, ask them to stand with you in prayer, pray and agree together. Then encourage and strengthen each other as you wait patiently for the answer.
Join the conversation today: Download the BibleApp and connect with “Alan Morton” by friend request from within the app.
• What do you do to make sure that doubt does not affect your faith?
• How do you keep your heart right so that the words you speak do not “defile” you?
• Outrageous faith! Can you share a short testimony of faith to encourage us today?
• What does it mean to you to deny yourself, take up your cross and follow Jesus?
• How do you listen to God?
• Agreeing in prayer is powerful, that is why God wants issues between one another in the family of God dealt with in the right way. What do you do to make sure that you stay in right relationship with others?
• A powerful parable on the importance of forgiveness. Sometimes it’s easy to forgive but other times we have to walk in forgiveness. How do you stay in a place of forgiveness?